Dr. D. N. SUJATHA (PROF & HOD - M.C.A.)
The department started its journey during 1984-85, when Computer Science education was in its infancy in India. I am very proud to share that the MCA Program in BMSCE is one of the oldest & the best in the entire country. The applications in Computer Science are indispensable part of our lives, shaping everything around us in the way in which we live, travel, work, play, connect & socialise.
The strength of the department is Alumni, Faculty, staff members & students. Our Alumnus occupy coveted position in notable industry & academic institutions. The department has dedicated, committed and accomplished faculty members supported by technical & administrative staff. In addition to regular laboratories, the department has developed Innovation Cluster Lab (ICL) – Centre of Excellence in Internet of Things supported by Industry Experts and Data Analytics & Research Lab (DAR). The students get exposed to real time projects by working in these labs. The department has its own department library with over 5000 books & access to various journals & conference proceedings.
The students are also encouraged to participate in extracurricular & Co curricular activities along with the regular academic activities to groom their holistic personality. Skill set of students are enhanced through regular Extension Lectures, workshops, Industrial Visits, Alumni Interactions and professional body activities. Stride- our annual Department magazine is prepared completely by the students with minimal support from faculty members. The quality of our students is reflected in their placement track record (both on Campus & off Campus) and the applications developed by them.
Learning is a continuous process and does not end at end of three years. The department believes that innovative teaching-learning methods, coupled with problem solving using modern tools & self-study helps the students to enhance their skills and enable them to handle the challenges faced in their professional life.
The Department of Computer Applications was established in 1984, initially with an intake of 30 students and the department admits 60 students every year at present. From the academic year 1998-99 the college is affiliated to Visvesvaraya technological University, Belagavi. The Department has blend of well-qualified and dedicated faculty members to its credit.
The department has an advanced computer lab equipped with networked high-end ACER (58) and HP (31) machines, to provide state-of-the-art computing facilities to the students and staff. In addition to the main library of the college, the department had full-fledged library with 16,000 books and reference materials.
The department has pioneered in building a strong relation with the industry that has helped the department in conducting various seminars on latest technologies, industrial visits and Entrepreneurship Development Workshops for the benefit of students and staff.
The department also provides live projects and guidance to the students through ICL (Innovative Cluster Lab) which is a part of MOU between BMSCE and Altimetrik, thus helping the students in their campus recruitment. The Data Analytics Research Lab of the department provides an opportunity to derive hidden knowledge from large volume of data sets. The Students of the department, over the years, have been adsorbed by esteemed companies and are considered assets in the industries.
To emerge as a premier knowledge center for imparting computing education inculcating human values to solve global challenges.
- To empower students with knowledge, skills and attitude to develop comprehensive computing solutions that addresses the needs of academia, industry and society
- To excel in education, research, consultancy and Industry collaboration
Programme Educational Objectives(PEOs)
Post Graduates of this programme will
- Demonstrate professional excellence in industry, public service or academia with strong skills in problem analysis, solution design and application development with a commitment to lifelong learning.
- Practice their profession with high standards of ethics.
- Be committed to work in teams with different cultures and disciplines and evolve as leaders in their roles
Programme Outcomes (PO’s)
- Apply computing knowledge, mathematical knowledge and domain knowledge to identify and capture requirements of specific problems. (Addressing GA 1)
- Analyze and develop models for specific problems using principles of mathematics, computing sciences and relevant domains. (Addressing GA 2)
- Design, implement, test and maintain solutions for systems, components or processes that meet specific needs with consideration for safety, societal and environmental issues. (Addressing GA 3)
- Conduct required experiments, generate, analyze and interpret the data to draw valid conclusions. (Addressing GA 4)
- Adapt the techniques, skills and modern tools necessary for solving complex computing problems with an understanding of their limitations. (Addressing GA 5)
- Adhere to cyber regulations and ethics in professional practice. (Addressing GA 6)
- Engage in lifelong learning to keep abreast of latest trends and emerging technologies. (Addressing GA 7)
- Apply the principles of project management and finance to one’s professional work. (Addressing GA 8)
- Communicate effectively (oral / written) with professionals and general public. (Addressing GA 9)
- Understand legal, ethical, societal, environmental, health issues within local and global contexts (Addressing GA 10)
- Function effectively as an individual and as a member or a leader in diverse and multidisciplinary teams. (Addressing GA 11)
- Understand the principles of entrepreneurship. (Addressing GA12)