The Chemistry Department is one of the oldest departments of BMSCE and was established in the year 1946. The Department teaches Engineering Chemistry and Technical Chemistry courses for I and II year B. E. students respectively. The Department has well qualified, experienced and highly motivated faculty members. Department faculty are involved in research and consultancy activities. The Chemistry department is a Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) recognized Research center since 2011.
After the completion of the course, students will have:
- Ability to test, measure and arrive at valid conclusions by applying various chemical processes on water
- Ability to define, describe and solve different electrochemical problems
- Ability to understand different types of chemical fuels and photovoltaics
- Ability to interpret types of corrosion and its control by various methods including metal finishing techniques
- Ability to differentiate different types of polymers and study their applications
- Ability to conduct experiments using modern tools to obtain the hardness, sodium content of water, COD of waste water, estimate components in the acid mixture, determine ferrous ammonium sulphate content, strength of weak acids, calorific value of a solid/liquid fuel, percentage of iron in the rust, copper content in the effluent sample and obtain the molecular weight of polymers